Sponsor a child

Here are the rules to sponsor the immigration of a child to Canada

Canada offers family class sponsorship available to permanent residents and citizens of the country. Under this sponsorship, dependent children studying abroad can join their parents in Canada and obtain permanent residence on their own. The aim is to reunite parents with children staying in other countries.

Eligibility requirements for a child

Parents can only sponsor one dependent child. ‘Dependent’, in this context, means the following –

  • The parent of the child must be a permanent resident or citizen of Canada
  • The child must not be married or be involved in a relationship recognized by common law
  • Child must be under 22

If, however, the age of the child is over 22, the child can still be called a dependent provided the following conditions are met –

  • The child has a mental or physical condition that prevents him from supporting himself
  • Child depended on parent for financial support before turning 22

Eligibility conditions for a sponsor

Sponsoring Parents should meet the following eligibility requirements –

  • They must be 18 or older.
  • The parent must be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident residing in or intending to return to Canada, or a person registered under the Indian Act of Canada.
  • Individual must be able to provide for basic needs of self, dependent child and spouse (if applicable)
  • The individual must prove their relationship to the child.
  • They must not have a criminal record, be imprisoned, bankrupt or be charged with any offence.
  • They must not default on a previous sponsorship.
  • They should not be involved in any immigration investigation.
  • They should not receive any financial assistance except for a disability.

A dependent child can be sponsored up to age 10 or up to age 25, whichever comes first. However, if the child is over 22, the sponsorship can last three years.

Sponsorship rules in Quebec

The sponsorship rules differ if you want your child to return to Quebec. There are a few more steps you need to take, which are as follows –

  • File an application at the provincial level with the Ministry of Immigration, Francisation and Integration (MIFI)
  • File the normal application with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
  • Apply to the Quebec selection committee and sign an undertaking. This undertaking states that you will provide for the needs of the child and reimburse the government for the assistance it has provided to the child throughout the sponsorship period.

In addition, the duration of the commitment in Quebec is also different. It is as follows –

  • If the child is under 16, the minimum period is ten years or until the child reaches the age of 18, whichever is later.
  • If the child is 16 or older, the minimum period is three years or until the child reaches the age of 25, whichever is later.

Disclaimer Statement: This content is written by an external agency. The views expressed herein are those of the respective authors/entities and do not represent the views of Economic Times (ET). ET does not guarantee, vouch for or endorse any of its content and is not responsible for it in any way. Please take all necessary steps to ensure that the information and content provided is correct, updated and verified. ET hereby disclaims all warranties, express or implied, with respect to the report and its contents.


#rules #sponsor #immigration #child #Canada

Related Articles

Back to top button